Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Snow

Since we went to Houston for Christmas, we missed the blanketing of white that Dallas got. Chris saved a snowball in the freezer for us but that was all we got. So I got so excited that it was supposed to snow all day yesterday and last night. Well it snowed for about 2 hours in the evening but it never could seem to drop below 34 degrees. So we were left with a light dusting that was mostly gone by midnight. Very sad..

I had an interesting memory yesterday. Growing up on Orchard street, I had a friend that lived a couple of streets over on 5th. Her name was Leah Wilsey and she was awesome. We used to hang out alot because we lived so close together and because we got on quite well. Although she was a year younger than me, we were very tight til I graduated and left. Actually, the summer after my freshman year in college, she was up at KU moving in for her freshman year and I went and spent the day with her. That was the last time I saw her as I moved down to Dallas a few weeks later. I believe she is living in Kansas City now, I'm sure she is doing great. Ok, that's enough background.

So I must have been in 8th or 9th.. maybe 10th or 11th grade, I cant remember. It was over the Christmas holiday break because I remember that all the college kids were gone and the town was empty the way that it gets. you get used to that growing up in a small town that is home to a large university... during the summer and christmas breaks, you can drive half way across town without seeing another vehicle. Anyway, it was a normal day, nothing special except that it had been snowing for a couple of days straight so the town was under a bunch of snow. It was piled up everywhere. I had been hanging out at Leah's... she had a great house, both of her parents were doctors. I don't remember what we were doing, probably just talking. Anyway, it was probably around 10-11 at night and I was walking back to my house through our neighborhood. Our neightborhood had been there for 70-100 years so the houses were old but nice and there are huge mature trees everywhere. I remember walking and enjoying the cold weather and the quiet as there were no cars or pedestrians the whole way back. It was just the most odd thing. I remember turning the a corner and seeing a snow covered silent street and I was filled with an enormous sense of loneliness. It was like nothing I have ever felt before or sense. Everything was just lonely. I kept walking and it passed as I strode up my front steps. It must have been pretty powerful for me to remember it so well. Anyway, that's all- end of story.

Yeah so, SMU Mustangs... puttin' the hurt on Nevada and dominating the Hawaii Bowl. Well done gentlemen. And for all the Mustang faithful out there, it's been 25 years... cheers.





Laters,
jth

1 comment:

  1. For some odd reason that post just got me all teary-eyed....Maybe because we are all getting so old! :( BTW- Leah is doing great- if you had a freaking facebook you would know this. (hint hint) Sorry I have been slacking on my blog lately- but once you complained I jumped right on it! :) I hope you and the Mrs. are doing great! Chris & I need to hit you guys up the next time we are in Dallas! Have a GRAYT day JTH! Hugs!

    ReplyDelete